Thursday, August 2, 2018

Uncle Seth's Pond

Today I will cover my adventures at Seth's Pond. Seth's Pond is located on the northern edge of Martha's Vineyard to the west of West Tisbury and is a popular swimming location.  The water in Seth's Pond is crystal clear and relatively cool, which makes it a prime habitat for cooler water species such as trout. Some of the species that inhabit Seth's Pond are: yellow perch, chain pickerel, largemouth bass, bluegill, and the pond is stocked with trout. At the top of the food chain are largemouth bass and chain pickerel. These two fish are quite different and have different ways of getting food. Chain Pickerel like to hide on the edges of beds of weed and wait for unsuspected prey to swim by before they swoop out and grab it with their very sharp teeth. Chain pickerel will eat pretty much anything, from bugs to birds to frogs and even their own species. Largemouth bass on the other hand, have practically no teeth at all and instead they have a very large mouth that they use to swallow their prey whole. They eat similar things like frogs, birds, and smaller fish. In Seth's Pond however the main food source for these two species of fish would primarily be yellow perch along with some bluegill and other small fish species.  This is important to know when selecting a lure.  I chose a Rapala yellow perch lure. This lure perfectly imitates a small yellow perch swimming. Here is a picture of that yellow perch lure alongside an actual yellow perch I caught in Seth's Pond.  

The one on the top is a large mouth bass that weighed around 3 pounds and the one on the bottom is a chain pickerel that was probably a pound or less. I caught both of them by casting into small coves from a kayak in Seth’s Pond.  






 


4 comments:

Joyce Ostertag said...

Hey Grey!

I was just wondering whether you were blogging this summer when up popped your post on my blogger feed! My father loves to fish, and we did a lot of lake fishing when I was small. My sister and I mostly caught sunnies and perch (our technique was not very good!) but my dad could usually get several bass per vacation. He studied the habitat and the fish behaviors just as you described. I'm not sure if I can leave a working link in a comment - it might need to be copied and pasted - but I'm including a photo of my sister and me from back in the day with our own catch of perch!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B69ChTOYnHqeVS1qMXZZQXJpSDA/view?usp=sharing

Sue Arabia said...

Grey,
Like Ms. Ostertag, I have been wondering what you have been up to this summer. I love that you find new adventures each year.
I do not know much about fishing, but it sound like you found a new hobby to enjoy. I like the way you shared information about the different species in the pond and all around Martha's Vineyard.
Have you been back to the oceanographic institute?
Say hi to Gunnar for me :)
Mrs. Arabia




Unknown said...

Mrs. Arabia,

Thanks for commenting. We had a little but of a late start so thats why we just started uploading recently. We have been WHOI and plan to go again shortly. We have one post up this year on WHOI, it covers what we are mainly focusing on the year with WHOI, sound pollution. Ill say hi to Gunnar for you, have a great summer!

Grey

Unknown said...

Mrs. Ostertag
Thanks for commenting again and thats awesome that your family used to perch. Perch can be easy to catch but when you trying to catch the big ones there sometimes quite hard to catch. You have to find out the perfect way to catch them. Bass are also really fun to catch. I got to the photo, where did you catch those perch? Just wondering because there really hard to find them back in PA where we live. There used to be a lot more of them there.

Grey