Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Day 1 & 2: Fishing in Woodstock, Vermont

Day One: Woodstock, Vermont


My mom loves horseback riding like I love fishing. This weekend there was a dressage competition in Vermont and my mom’s barn on the island always goes to it. Last Wednesday at 5:00 in the morning we drove to the the horse farm, loaded the horses on the trailers, and embarked on our, not so comfortable, six hour drive to Woodstock, Vermont.  
When we got there, it was pouring rain.  I quickly got on my gear and sprinted to the creek with my my fishing rod. I had already put on a tiny panther martin gold spinner because there is a creek that goes straight through the horse farm that is loaded with brook trout. If your wondering what a spinner is it is a type of lure that  imitates a minnow. I walked straight to this place where the water pooled up into a nice deep hole and casted. I reeled in for a couple of seconds and BOOM… A giant brook trout slammed my lure, well at least giant for this size of a creek. I pulled him in, admired his beauty for a few seconds, snapped a few photos, and let him swim away back into the icy cold mountain water.
Next cast, I hooked onto a smaller one but size doesn't matter to me. The beauty of these fish is all I care about. I let him go and took a few more casts. Brook trout are very smart and had figured out that the shiny spinner that imitated a minnow was not real and they best stay away from it. I walked down the stream a little bit until I came to some nice pools with some more brook trout swimming in the current at the bottom. Unfortunately they did not bite, so after about an hour of fishing I started to head back to the spot I started at and had the best luck.   I took a cast and got a smaller one again, but after that they stopped biting. It was time to move on.

My older cousin's husband, Ramone, picked me up and we went to the Connecticut River. The Connecticut River has world class smallmouth bass fishing, so we decided to throw a topwater lure called a bomber to see if we could catch some big ones.  At the end of the day, I ended up only getting one small bass, but at least I didn't get skunked (which means not catching any fish). Normally when Ramone goes to this spot, he catches tons of massive smallies. Since this day was really slow, we decided to call it quits. All and All I was happy that I had caught some beautiful brook trout, which was my only goal of the trip.


Day Two: Woodstock

That night I slept at my Aunt's house and the next day me and Ramone did a little trout fishing.  Unfortunately, my phone was broken and we only ended up not catching one small brook trout. I had about four on, but they all managed to shake the hook off.  Later that day, Ramone and I went back to the Connecticut River and we caught two smaller smallmouth bass that were around two pounds each.



No comments: