Monday, July 31, 2017

Long Point Wildlife Refugee



The other day I went to a place called Long Point Wildlife Refugee. At Long Point there is a large freshwater pond with a beach right next to it. Most people come to Long Point to have fun, swim, skim-board, and play games in the clear fresh water pond, but what I'm most interested in is the marine life(and having fun, playing games, and swimming).

After playing some games with my brother, my mom and I went to a secret spot that we visit every year to catch and release blue crabs. When we arrived at the dirt road we normally take to get to the salt water pond, it was blocked off.  That did not discourage us.  We had to find a way around. We saw a small dirt road that went to the nature center. We walked all the way along the road and finally found a small path to the salt water pond.  Our perseverance paid off because we were rewarded with a huge surprise.  We found a blue crab nesting site with hundreds of blue crabs. As soon as I looked in the water I saw them. They were everywhere!  They were quick, but I was also quick to catch them. After a matter of minutes I had already caught almost 10 huge blue crabs. I kept walking up the beach only to see more blue crabs. At the end I released the blue crabs and it looked like there had been a slight conflict between the crabs (given that there were a few detached crab limbs). Overall I loved coming to Long Point and the trek to get to the blue crab spot was worth it.

Check out these videos!!!


1 comment:

Sue Arabia said...

Grey,
It sounds like you had a great day - water fun and an adventure. That crab in the second video does look BIG! I think I would just admire its swimming, rather than try to catch it :))
Mrs. Arabia