Monday, August 8, 2016

Stonewall Pond Kayaking Tour

I went kayaking with Matt, Amanda, Noah and Lindsey at Stonewall Pond.  We kayaked under the bridge and as soon as we got out, we saw a huge horseshoe crab.  I picked it up and it was super heavy!!  


Meet Spiky 



If you want to learn more about horseshoe crabs click here

Then we kayaked across the pond and stopped at another little beach.  I caught three baby fish only about 3 inches long.  They were probably bass.  While I was walking in the water, I noticed a small horseshoe crab that was still clear. It could fit on the palm of my hand.  I also found a molted horseshoe crab shell.  

At the very end of the trip, I noticed a Brittle starfish at the boat launch.  We haven't seen one for two years!


We also looked at spider crabs and sea scallops.  To learn more about sea scallops click here



 I really enjoyed being a tour guide.  Here's a picture of me and my youngest student.




1 comment:

Sue Arabia said...

Grey,
Your kayaking trip looked like it was fun and informative. I liked seeing the difference in size between the baby horseshoe crab and the big one you found. I like the way you included links to additional information about the living things you discovered. The brittle starfish looked very interesting, too.
Mrs. Arabia

(P.S. Noah is really growing, too!)