Wednesday, September 24, 2014

RIverbend Environmental and Education Center


We caught long-tailed salamanders at the Riverbend Environment and Education Center.  They were underneath some rocks next to the stream.  

The are hard to catch because they were small, fast, and slippery. 









We looked up information on salamanders.  We learned that baby salamanders are aquatic and adults live near streams.  We also learned that they send chemicals to talk to each other.  They distract their predators by braking their tails off, and the tail still moves to distract them.  My favorite salamander I saw was when I was in the Redwood Forest.  I saw a one foot long salamander eating a huge banana slug!!


I also caught some crayfish.  Crayfish look like tiny lobsters, but they live in fresh water.  
Here is a picture of a crayfish that I caught in the steam.  




No comments: